Thursday 1 August 2013

Calendar spam

I'm not sure how common this is, but over the last month or so I've noticed the phenomenon of calendar spam. I first came across it about six weeks ago while I was in Sri Lanka ( the two events are not related) and since then I've had two or three other incidents.

This is how it works:

Someone sends a meeting request (I use google calendar, I'm not sure if it's a gcal only phenomenon). It usually has a fairly obvious subject line like please review by 0830 or Urgent meeting request, ie subject lines that sound vaguely plausible, but not ones that anyone actually uses - not where I work anyway.

Go to your calendar and there it is, that fictional 0830 meeting. Open it up and the meeting details contain one of these scam sob stories about how someone needs help to get some infeasible amount of money out of a bank in Guinea or Nigeria.

Just another irritation of life ...

Written with StackEdit.

No comments: